Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Mobile Dream

     I have officially made an offer on a van. Her name is Vanna White. She is a Ford E350 diesel cargo van, well maintained, with all sorts of possibilities for becoming my temporary residence. For how much I want all of this to work out for the summer, I am NERVOUS. Being a person who has moved six times since graduating from college four years ago, this kind of commitment is a bit staggering. It is hard to imagine that this van could me MY VAN. It could be the van I know and love, that I feel attached to the same way I felt attached to the Matrix. The Matrix, in some ways, was my stability. That car took me through most of those moves, even acting as housing in between places. It was reliable and familiar. In some ways, I am glad it was totaled because I'm not sure if I would have had the guts to give it up myself. 




       As much as I loved the Matrix, I have always wanted something bigger. Something I could could sleep in without taking all of my things out first. Something I could park at the trailhead, so I could roll out of it in the morning and walk right to rocks to climb. Vanna White could be the one. I mean look at her! She's pretty. 




     So I made the offer, talked down the price, and plan to go on Thursday to pick her up. Again, I am NERVOUS. There are still things I have yet to do. Like have the money, for instance. The process of getting the money from the insurance company, to my parents (who the Matrix was registered to), and back to me has been more of a process that I had ever imagined. For weeks I have been expecting that in just A FEW MORE DAYS I would have the money. Right now I'm counting on that being tomorrow. Then there is the getting there, the paper work, and things I probably don't even imagine. With all of this I can imagine that no matter how nervous I am now, once the van is in my driveway I will feel a LOT better.
I will probably dance.
And squeel.
Maybe even cry.
Who knows.
 I'll tell you when it happens. Even if it's embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment