Monday, May 20, 2013

Change of Plans

    All that nervousness about Vanna White was just too much. It didn't feel right. Nothing was working and I felt like it must be a sign. I also felt like I maybe didn't believe in signs. I don't know how you feel about prayer, but I was so unsure of what to do that all I COULD do was ask God to please make it clear what to do. Whether it was God telling me, or my own being fed up with the situation, on Thursday buying Vanna White didn't work out and I called it done. Back to the hunt.

     Not far into looking I found a Bio Diesel ready, well maintained, VANAGON for sale. You know, the car that any person who dreams of adventure dreams of themselves in during said adventure. So far I hadn't found a VW that I felt willing to invest in, but this one looked like it could be it. When Scott and I pulled up to the house for a test dive, we both knew that I was hooked. The van is beautiful, and wonderful, and all I have ever dreamed of (I mean, whatever, I totally don't care). After looking for so long, and knowing that it had all the things I had been looking for, it was so hard not to say yes on the spot (if you don't count the fact that I said, "I love it!" after the test drive as "yes."). It was also hard not to get immediately sucked in when I simultaneously fell in love with Oakland. The owners are a sweet couple who just had a baby and run a community garden, and who knows, maybe I could just buy the car and live out front and be absorbed into the whole place? I miss the city. Just hours after the test drive I knew if was the one I wanted, and I put in my claim. This afternoon we drove back to Oakland to make it ours.






    I can't say that it doesn't freak me out a bit. There was the whole NOT BEING ABLE TO GET OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY thing when I tried to leave. That was embarrassing. It's been a while since I drove a stick shift, and being watched as I fail tends to make things worse, not better. Shoot. But I did get out, and around Oakland, and on the freeway, and over the 17 and back home with the van. Even though I feel a little like I just jumped off the high dive and I'm realizing I'm at the bottom of the pool, I'm really excited to be in the water. I've been dreaming of this for a long time. And, seriously, check out this van!

































     The stick shift driving will come back with practice, and that's really my only concern right now. Scott, the van and I are ready for adventure. Now we just need a name for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment